Advantages & Disadvantages of Sleeve GastrectomyTuesday, July 24th, 2012, 5:49 pm
You all know about the gastric band procedure as a weight loss solution, but did you know there is another procedure that can give you amazing results as well?
The sleeve gastrectomy (gastric sleeve) is a restrictive form of bariatric surgery that shrinks the stomach to approximately 15% of its original size. It is commonly performed on severely obese patients who are not healthy enough to undergo a successful gastric bypass or similar weight loss surgery. The procedure enables rapid weight loss with fewer complications than the more conventional weight loss surgeries.
The following is a list to summarize the pros and cons of sleeve gastrectomy in comparison to other bariatric techniques:
- No malabsorptive complications or related deficiencies
- No risk of ulcer
- Gastric dumping syndrome is largely avoided
- Normally laparoscopic, reducing recovery time
- Removes gland that secretes Ghrelin, hunger hormone
- No foreign bodies (bands, tubes etc) permanently inside body
- No “tightening” needed for further weight loss
- Considered investigational or experimental by some insurance companies
- Relatively few doctors perform this surgery
- Weight regain more likely
Recent reports showed that the Sleeve Gastrectomy procedure is nearly as effective as Gastric Bypass in reducing co-morbidities associated with obesity:
|Type 2 Diabetes||56%||37%|
|High Blood Pressure||49%||29%|
|Obstructive Sleep Apnea||60%||33%|
If you are interested in learning more about this procedure or would like to schedule your free consultation, give us a call today. Our bariatric surgeon is specially trained to perform the sleeve gastrectomy and can answer any questions you may have!
Category: Weight Loss Surgery