Gastric Banding Surgery In Los Angeles
Gastric Banding – The REALIZE Band/Lap Band
Gastric banding is a surgical procedure that reduces the capacity of the stomach in order to limit the amount of food that a patient can consume. The gastric banding procedure utilizes two separate medical apparatuses to be implanted in the patient: a silicone band and an injection port. The silicone band is surgically implanted and placed around the upper part of the stomach, creating two connected chambers in the stomach. The injection port is then fastened to the abdominal wall beneath the skin. A soft, thin tube is then used to connect the port to the band.
Alterations and adjustments can be made to the band by your medical provider simply by injecting saline solution into the gastric band through the port, which increases the amount of restriction the band provides. This restriction allows patients to feel fuller sooner and consume less food.
So how does it work?
The REALIZE Personalized Banding Solution makes you feel full sooner which results in less food consumed at one time and makes it easier for you to participate in healthy eating and lifestyle habits.
The adjustable REALIZE Band divides the stomach into two parts: a small upper pouch and a lower stomach. The upper pouch can only hold about 4 ounces (1/2 cup) of food. For this reason, you will feel full sooner and longer than usual.
To maximize the benefits of the REALIZE Band, you should eat several small nutritionally balanced meals each day. Remember it will still be important to eat foods that are low in calories, fat, cholesterol, and sugar. Also:
- Remember to chew slowly and take smaller bites
- Include protein in your meals which will help you feel full longer
- Avoid high-calorie drinks
- Drink more water
Our healthcare team will give you advice regarding the large variety of foods that is appropriate to maintain healthy and balanced nutrition.
The REALIZE Band does not alter your digestive function. Food consumed passes through the digestive tract in the normal route. Approximately four to six weeks after surgery, you will visit your doctor and begin a series of periodic procedures to adjust your band. These adjustments may be necessary as long as you have your gastric band.
Life After Gastric Banding
Anyone undergoing gastric banding can look forward to significant weight loss and health benefits almost immediately after the procedure. It is typical for patients who undergo the gastric band procedure to lose 47% of their excess weight.
Studies found that gastric banding:
- Provided a reduction of type 2 diabetes in 47.8% of patients and in many cases resolved the disease within days of the surgery
- 38.4% of patients saw a reduction in high blood pressure
- 78.3% of patients improved their cholesterol levels
Bariatric surgery patients who experienced significant weight loss can expect improvements in their quality of life, physical functioning, appearance, and even social and economic opportunities according to analyses.
Potential Concerns of Gastric Banding
- While the gastric band will help you feel more satisfied with less food, the desire to eat will not be completely eliminated, and it is imperative to the success of this procedure that you institute the exercise guidelines and diet restrictions provided to you by your physician after the surgery.
- Compared to most other bariatric surgeries follow-up care of a more intensive nature is required. This is due to the fact that the gastric band is adjustable and that even after reaching and maintaining your desired weight it may be necessary to visit your healthcare professional for further adjustments.
At Beverly Oaks Surgery
We understand that weight loss surgery is a very big and life-altering decision and it is important to us at Beverly Oaks Surgery that you feel comfortable and confident that the procedure is right for you. We want to help you every step of the way as you explore all of your options, receive answers to all of your questions, and guide you in the right direction. Call us today at 888-986-3996 and we will arrange for you a complimentary, one-on-one consultation with a medical professional at our facility.