Melt Away Your Muffin Top – Exercise, Diet, and Gastric Band SolutionsWednesday, February 6th, 2013, 8:15 pm
Are you experiencing fat or flesh that hangs over your waistband, aka a “muffin top?” This is a common phenomenon in men and women that are attempting to lose weight in Los Angeles. While a gastric band or gastric sleeve solution may be necessary to help you get rid of your muffin top, try these tips for diet and exercise before you consult with our plastic surgeons at Beverly Oaks Surgery about weight loss surgery.
Our bodies are built to protect our vital organs by wrapping them in cholesterol, water, and fat and this typically occurs in the hips and lower abdomen. Consuming a diet that is high in toxins such as caffeine, alcohol, tobacco and nicotine, foods high in acidity, and processed foods can result in the dreaded “muffin top.” Here are some tips that you can follow to get rid of your muffin top through dieting:
- Flush Out Toxins – Not only should you reduce the number of toxins that you take in, you should also flush out as many toxins as possible. This can be achieved by eating a diet that is rich in foods such as vegetables, nuts, and whole grains. Making sure that you are staying hydrated and drinking enough water is also key to flushing out toxins; while there is no overarching, definitive suggestion for water intake it is typically advised that men take in about 100 ounces of total beverages a day and women about 75 ounces of beverages per day. While this suggestion states “beverages,” consuming sugary drinks is strongly advised against if you are attempting to lose weight and get rid of that muffin top and consuming only water is strongly suggested for this purpose.
- Include More “Good Fats” and Less “Bad Fats” – Not all fats are bad for you, in fact our bodies need fat not only for energy but also to absorb vitamins and to transport nutrients. A diet that includes monounsaturated fats and polyunsaturated fats (also known as the “good fats”) is good for health. Avocados, nuts, fatty fish, tofu, peanut butter, soymilk all include monounsaturated or polyunsaturated fats and are good for your heart and cholesterol levels. “Bad fats” – the ones associated with weight gain, heart disease, and elevated cholesterol levels – are the saturated fats (found in butter, cheese, high-fat cuts of meat, and whole-fat dairy milk or cream) and trans fats (found in packaged snack foods, commercially baked items such as cookies, cakes, and pizza dough, and fried foods). Eliminating trans fats from your diet and limiting saturated fats will help you stay healthy.
- Decrease Added Sugar Intake – Like fat our bodies need sugar as it is the fuel that our bodies prefer. Sugar that is naturally occurring is healthy and can be found in fruit, some vegetables like sweet potatoes, and even milk. Added sugar includes sweeteners that are added during the preparation of processed foods and include high-fructose corn syrup, dextrose, fructose, and maltose among others. The American Heart Association suggests that added sugar intake be roughly 6 teaspoons per day for women, however on average US women consume about 18 teaspoons a day.
Exercise is imperative to weight loss as it helps you to not only work off the calories that you have consumed, but also to tone the area in question. Here are some great exercises that you can perform to help you lose your muffin top.
- Cardiovascular Exercise – Cardiovascular exercise helps you lose weight by helping you to burn calories and is a must if you are attempting weight loss. You will not only burn more calories at a single time but it also adds to the overall calorie deficit necessary to weight loss. Walking, running, swimming, and step aerobics are all great methods for cardiovascular exercise. If you are just starting to get back into exercising start with a level you can handle and attempt to do about 3 to 4 days a week.
- Jacknives – Jacknives will help you to focus attention on your core and abdominals. Lay on the floor with your arms stretched over your head and your legs flat on the floor. Raise your arms and legs to a 90-degree angle and touch and then return to a resting position. Do about forty reps of jacknives to help burn fat in your belly.
- Side Bends – Side bends are low-impact and easy to do. Stand with your feet equal to hip distance and lower your arm to touch your toes while moving your other hand to your hip (bending to the side of course). Alternate sides and do about 100 reps.
Weight Loss Surgery
If you have been through the ringer with diets and exercise time and time again and still can’t manage to lose any of that weight it may be time to consider weight loss surgery. At Beverly Oaks Surgery our medical professionals are some of the finest in their field and provide both gastric banding and gastric sleeve for weight loss. Both the gastric band and gastric sleeve can give you a leg up on your weight loss journey and help not only achieve, but also maintain the healthy weight you have been striving for.
To learn more about the weight loss surgical procedures provided by Beverly Oaks Surgery contact us for a free consultation at (888) 986-3996.
 Holliday, Janey. “How To… Lose Your Muffin Top.” Mail Online. Associated Newspapers Ltd, 09 Apr. 2009. Web.
 Meltzer-Zepeda, Dana. “3 Moves to Melt Away Your Muffin Top: Flash: Self.com.” Self Content. Conde Nast, 28 Mar. 2012. Web.